1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, head injury 8-9 week old chic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mdfink, Mar 5, 2017.

1. mdfink

mdfink New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found this little guy in the coop this morning and am not sure if it will heal up or not. Any advice greatly appreciated! It was hatched by one of my hens at the first part of January so apx. 8-9 weeks.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Poor little guy. The good news is that this sort of wound actually heals very well. Isolate the bird in a place where you can provide supportive care - keeping the wound clean and monitoring for infection/treating if it develops, protecting it from further damage by other birds, keeping a good eye on feed/water intake and waste output. Being a young bird actually works further in your/his favor as at this stage their bodies are already in overdrive when it comes to tissue development and growth.

3. athelsel

athelsel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    how did this happen? poor thing!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Looks like a baby chick I had six years ago. She had stuck her head through the fencing and the rooster scalped her.

I wrote about how I treated it for BYC. It's linked below in my signature line.

Basically, I cleaned the wound twice a day to keep bacteria from colonizing the wound. I painted it with Blu-kote, let it dry, then put an antibiotic ointment on it, making sure the wound never was allowed to dry out.

The chick was allowed to rejoin her mates, and they pretty much left the wound alone since it was disguised with the Blu-kote.

Warning, if you allow the wound to dry out, healing will slow to a near stand-still and infection will then become a real danger. No need to try to bandage it, by the way. Just cleanse it twice a day. It's going to take a good six weeks or more for the wound to close. I rejoiced when my chick's wound had closed up so I could barely get a Q-tip in it. Then a toothpick, then one day, it was completely closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by