Help,Heartbroken!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbs, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    My 15 month old EE prolapsed about 5 days ago. I seperated her and have been applying Preperation H and honey . She has been eating pretty well.I have been unable to get the prolapse to go back in,and the vent has become crusty even though I have cleaned it three times a day. Here is the terrible part,she tried to lay an egg today and the tip of her vent would not open enough,so the egg started pushing through the side. I quickly tried putting KY around the vent ,but she pushed hard and the egg pushed through the side of the skin instead of through the vent hole. My question is can she recover from this,or is she done for?I am at a loss as to what to do for her now .

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I've never heard of it this bad. Bump to get it back to the top of the list. Good Luck.

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that sounds painful,.. I wish I could help,.. but it's new to me,..
    praying for someone that can help you.

4. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Another bump.

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor girl. I wish God would halt the egg forming until they are healed. . .good luck.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It doesn't sound good. I had a hen that had a previous prolapse, recovered, then 2 months later, it happened again. This time the prolapse was huge, silver dollar size. I did everything that could be done for her, just like the previous time. Unfortunately this time it never would heal, and I had to cull her. Sometimes, nothing can be done. Good luck, I hope she recovers.

7. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Any update??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by