Help!Heat Lamp or Eco-Glow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cluckcluck1215, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Heat Lamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eco Glow

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Mama Heating Pad

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. I don't really care

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

I need help.From the Three batches of Chicks I have raised, I have used a Heat Lamp.But I'm ALWAYS fretting about it!Should I try and get my mom to use the money for something safer like a Mama-Heating Pad or a Eco Glow?Or should I just countienuie to use the Heat Lamp?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  3. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Interesting.I will look into it, thanks Karen!

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have both the eco glow and heat lamps and use both. I have the smaller eco glow which SUPPOSEDLY is good for up to 20 peeps then there is a larger one, but they vastly overstate how many chicks it can handle.
    I've used it for 9 and they quickly outgrow it, but it can be raised and/or turned on its side so the chicks can get against it.
    I also need to cover it so the chicks can't poop on it. I(Thinking: I could turn it upside down and make a heating pad out of it.
    When I use the heat lamp making sure I don't have the tinted bulbs that are dangerous I have handled up to 25 birds to over five weeks old with no problem, so I prefer that for larger hatches. I like the eco glow for tiny hatches or bantams.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Heat lamps scare me.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It should come as no surprise that I'm a strong advocate of MHP. Inexpensive, soft, flexible, safer than a heat lamp, gives chicks natural day/night cycles from day one, and can be used for other things later. Some argue against them, based on studies of heating pad caused burns on the infirm and/or elderly, but chicks are not elderly, have no lack of mobility, don't have the same delicate and thin skin that older folks like me tend to have, and don't generally have underlying health issues like decreased nerve function or circulatory problems. I've raised 6 batches of chicks with MHP (90 chicks, more or less) and have never had a single problem.

That said, lots of people have used heat lamps for even more batches of chicks than that and never had a problem either. So it all boils down to your personal preference, your individual situation and your comfort zone. The goal is healthy strong chicks no matter which method you choose to use. [​IMG]

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've always used heat lamps, VERY CAREFULLY, with no problems. The Eco Glow looks good, but I'm not buying one this year. I agree that it will probably be best for fewer than the maximum number of chicks listed, but should be wonderful if properly used. Anything electric can be an issue if improperly used, and always have a backup plan, if the first heat source either fails, or the power goes out. Mary

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2!!! A backup is always a good idea and any electrical appliance should be used with safety and a good dose of common sense in mind! Make sure connections are secure, even to the point of using electrical tape to keep dust and moisture out. Use only things that are in good working order. If you need to use an extension cord, make sure it's a heavy duty one. For those rare occasions when I have to use one, I put one of those clamshell connection covers on it where the appliance plugs into it.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In power outages I have used hot water bottles under towels.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't care to participate in swaying (other) parents on how to spend their money.

I use both a heat lamp and a DIY 'MHP'.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by