HELP HELP HELP! Does anyone have a Petersime Model 1 incubator?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Feena07, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Feena07

Feena07 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Hello everyone!

I am new to raising my own chicks but have hatched several dozen chicks for my 7th grade students to watch out of our schools Petersime Model 1 incubator (we got it from the Army Corps of Engineers when they decided to stop manually hatching the endangered Least Tern and Piping Plovers). For some reason (not sure if one of our older high school students messed with it or if there is some sort of electrical issue) it keeps getting too hot (about 115) and we cannot open up the vents any farther to cool it down. My co-teacher and I accidentally poached some eggs when we realized that the thermometer gun we were using was giving us a temperature that was about 10 degrees off (darn you Snap-On!!) so instead of 99.5 it was over 112. So...I ordered replacement eggs thinking that we would have it figured out by the time the chicks got here for next week....we still don't have it figured out. Do any of you fantastic chicken-people have any words of advice for me!? We have this awesome incubator that we know can work fantastically but for some reason (now that I want to start my own coop) it has decided to go on the fritz. Any help would be great!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    It has to have a thermostat to control the temp---or should. Turning it does not effect it?

3. Feena07

Feena07 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    I'm sure it does but it's not an obvious thermostat. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the "pilot" to where it won't shut off. Also, we broke one of the mercury regulator thermometers when we were trying to fix one of them. This is seriously turning into a comedy of errors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by