1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!OMG i caught a injured herion the tall birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TreyClark281, Jul 26, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    it's wing is broken and i dont know what to do!!! HELP
    im afriaid it will peck me omg it is so big!! WHAT DO I DO!!!
    illl post pics later!

2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    She'll be fine. Some birds fake a broke wing so youll be more interested in her than her eggs..This could not be the case.
    Probably the best thing to do is to leave her alone.

3. QuailCreekFarm

QuailCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Gaston, OR
    Do you have a local chapter of the Audubon Society? If so, they can help. Try the state fish and game department, too. I know in Portland there are a number of agencies that deal with injured birds. If you can, have an experienced person come handle it.

4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    call your vet or animal control something. i recently found a bird a cat was chasing after who's wing and leg were open. i called the vet and walked over there and unfortunatly she had too much blood loss and they had to put her down. they did it for free!!

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Trey,

Call your local zoo. My husband works with a man who volunteers for the zoo to help mend wild birds back to health and release back to the wild. My husband and this guy are aircraft mechanics and this guy brings the birds to work with him so he can give them meds when they need them.

jackie

6. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    Call the DNR they can handle it and get it to rehab if needed. Regular vets cannot treat wildlife unless they have a special permit. Emerg treatment can be done but anything further needs to got to a licensed rehabber plus most vet clinics aren't set up to take care of wildlife.

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    so pretty much trey - call everybody

autobon society

the local zoo

a local vet

animal control

and the list continues...

8. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i did i call every one i had 8 numbers i was refered to. all said call this call this blah blah and i cant help that animal WELL WHAT ANIMAL DO YOU HELP?!
    but i found a clinic that will help this poor bird if it survives the night.
    it said not to give it any water or food because it might be bad for it.
    so ill take it tomarrow.
    thanks everyone and im uploading some pics on photobucket
    so hold on. lol

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Fortunately we have a wildlife center near by..I've taken a baby crow, a blue jay and Hiccups the baby possum there.
    Herons are big big birdies...I flushed a green heron once at Pond Meadow Park and it wasn't nearly as big as an Egret or a Great Blue...

10. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ya it it pretty big for a bird it is like 10 time the size of a standard hen!
    it stands about 2 1/2 feet or more!! i cant really look at a bird and tell the size but it was big!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by