1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help Help Help Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pip&Squeek2, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Pip&Squeek2

Pip&Squeek2 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    I have a 3 week old chick that I have had living in the house with me. The momma didn't want him for some reason or another. It was born 3 days later than the other 7. It seems fine up until last night. It is walking around like it's drunk. Wobbling all over the place. I have checked it out real close and I am not seeing anything that would cause this. It eats good and seems to be drinking as well. I cooked up an egg yoke for it and also added vitamins to the water. I am not seeing any other symptoms and I have looked all over the web. If anyone has any clue what I am dealing with I would truly appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance and God bless!

~Sara

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    Try a little sugar in the water.

3. henney penny

henney penny Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Did you try the poly vit sol for infants without the iron .

4. Pip&Squeek2

Jul 29, 2010
    Thank you guys for reading and replying!!! I have put sugar in the water. I have also tried the Vi-tal in the water. Are you thinking it could be a vitamin deficiency thing? S/he is still peeping and wants to move around it seems. I just feel helpless. I don't want anything to happen to it. Our family dog even sleeps by the cage every night as well as runs over to it if it makes noise. I brought it outside for the first time yesterday but I didn't think of that til now. Could that have caused something. It's brothers and sisters live outside with it's momma so I thought it would be nice for this one to play for a few minutes in the grass.
    Hmmm...Now I am wondering if I did something wrong! Poor little thing!!! My kids would be sad to loose it as well so I want to do everything I can to get it healthy again.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, probably vitamin deficiency. I remember changing starter mix and the situation improved (see I wasn't convinced what I was given before was starter mix).

6. Pip&Squeek2

Jul 29, 2010
    If this is a vitamin deficiency then how long til I will see some improvement? With the Vi~tal added to the water and feeding cooked yoke a couple times a day. I would just feel horrible if the poor thing is suffering. Other than not being able to balance itself, s/he is still eating and drinking once it makes it over to the dish. I have it in a clear storage container. Nothing big and I use puppy pads for the bedding.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate it greatly. If there is anything else anyone can suggest, I would love to get ideas.

~Sara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by