HELP! HELP! hELP! MY CHICKENS HURT!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ederob, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Hello! Thank you for reading this! Anyway my dog tried to kill my chicken and my aunt saw the hen and told me to go get it. So I went to get it and it was still alive and shivering. It has feathers ripped of its back and it has a big spot were it is bleeding. It's comb in turning purple. I covered it with a Walmart bag and some hay. On her back it looks like it was plucked by a human and about to be roasted. What should I do? Please help! She is a EE and about 2 years old our Rhodesian Ridge Back dog got it. I don't know what to do PLEASE HELP ME! I love this hen!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Here's what I do. Clean all the wounds - search for them. I usually trim feathers away from the area if they are getting into the wound. Treat the wound twice a day. Flush with saline, then wipe it with Betadine, then apply Campho-Phenique, then pack with a triple antibiotic ointment like neo-sporin. Then a subcutaneous shot of Baytril or Penicillin for about 3 days or so won't hurt.

You may have those things in the house or they're available at a drugstore or feed store. Good luck.

The shot isn't absolutely necessary if the wound is treated right away.

Aside from the Campho-Phenique which will relieve pain. Giving a baby aspirin crushed and mixed with water will help ease the pain.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    Thank you! I will try to do as much of what you said as I can. Should I put water on it?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No. Saline or mix some salt with water and use that to flush it. The salt will kill bacteria.
    You can use hydrogen peroxide on a new wound but after a day the betadine is better as it will kill bacteria but won't damage new growing cells like the HP will.

5. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    OK. I am going to go do it as soon as I can. Thank you sooo much!

6. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    If you have some iodine or iodine soap, put that on her injury.

7. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    OK. Thank you. I will see if I have any.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Clean and flush wounds as already suggested. Apply antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens). Give her electrolytes for shock,she is in shock that is why her comb/wattles are turning blue. Give her the electrolytes first,this is critical,as shock can kill,then clean wounds. Keep her inside,keep her warm,if you have a hot water bottle fill it and wrap it in a pillow case,place beside her. You can give her baby aspirin 81 mg or reg 325 mg aspirin,if she is bleeding profusely,give aspirin later,after bleeding has slowed or stopped. Crush aspirin and place in water,dose is 25 mg per lb of body weight. Do not leave her in the bag,do not use hay to cover her. Make sure she drinks. Leave wounds uncovered,they will heal from the inside out,watch for maggots,keep her separate from any other chickens as they will pick at her wounds,this may result in her death.

9. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    Thank you. What should I cover her with then?

1 person likes this.
  10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You do not have to cover her,bring her inside,do you have a basket(laundry basket,cat bed or box will work)place a towel or blanket in basket if you have a hot water bottle fill it with hot water then place it in a pillow case,place it beside her for warmth. When chickens are ill/injured they cannot regulate their body temp that is why it is important for her to be kept warm. Give her the electrolytes ASAP for shock,then clean wounds.if you do not have electrolytes here is a recipe(cut in half to make a smaller amount)to 1 gallon of water add:1 tsp baking soda,1 tsp table salt,1 Tablespoon sugar.

Note: for hot water bottle,you want water hot enough to be able to feel the heat through pillow case. Place beside her,but give her enough room in basket/box that she can move away from it if she is warm,water cools very fast in hot water bottles,so you will have to fill it often( i use boiling water,but b/c you are not familiar with the right temp,just use hot water).

How severe are her wounds,are they torn open or just small cuts?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by