Help! Help! Help! My Thermometer Is Broken! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 21, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What do I do!?!?!? It just sits at 82 even if I turn it up or down! What do I do?! I need help! [​IMG] I dont want my duck eggs to die! They are ALL forming! I would hate myself forever if they all died! [​IMG] but really what can I do?! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (sorry, I know, im way over dramatic [​IMG] )

2. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Not over dramatic...we all have money and hearts invested in this. I think everyone would be quite upset. Is it just a thermometer that gauges the temp or is it built into the incubator to control the temp? If its just a thermometer I'd just leaeve the temps it was at and get a new one tomorrow. It should maintain the same temp. You can get a good aquarium thermometer for about $1.30 at walmart. If you've already fiddled with the temp control and aren't sure what you adjusted it to, then I'd put a small cup or sandwich baggie of water (rolled up into a wiggler) and take a normal temperature thermomter (like the medical ones) and once the they are the same temp as the eggs then take its temp and adjust accordingly. Could take all night. If its a thermometer/temp control then I can't help. But thats what I'd do anyway. Good luck!!

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thank you for such a quick reply! I did fidle with it, but before I did, I remembered where it was so that if the temp didnt change, I wouldnt have to BIG of a problem. And no, its just the thermometer. The eggs feel the same temp as they always do when I candle them, so I think they are ok. Its very slowly moving, its now up to 88, but there is something wrong with it. Thanks again!

4. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    No problem! I think you'll be fine. People have had some crazy temp swings for extended period of time and the eggs were still fine. Definitely keep us updated! PS I'd keep extra thermometers...I always have at least 2 in the bator and few on hand. I like the aquarium ones because they're really accruate and really cheap. They are hard to read from the window so I like a digital one and for accuracy and to test the different height levels of temps, the aquarium ones are great. Someone wrote a info sheet on incubating with a still air she's the one who recommended it.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thats what I have,..... I think. It reads temp, and humidity. But controls nothing. I think I will have my mom get two tomarrow. I have been felling the eggs every ten minutes, firsth they get a chill to them, they they are warm, then a chill, but they are warmer them they are chilly (this was just now BTW). You made me at ease..... Lol. Thank you soooooooo much! Im hopeing its the thermometer, and not the bator [​IMG]. But everything happens for a reason I guess. The only problem is, im not gonna be home all day tomarrow! I hope they will be ok?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I bet they'll be fine. Just have your mom get some and pop them in for you. My poor husband...he hates the whole chicken thing, but is the one who had to run to the store late at night for random stuff when I first started hatching. I found BYC after I got the eggs and I was realizing that I knew nothing and had all the wrong things. I was soooo convinced that I killed my eggs that I quit turning them the last 5 days and my incubator was in the basement where it is super cold and I was having temp swings all over the place. On day 21, I just casually looked at them, turned to leave and I heard peeping. My heart absolutely jumped in throat. I thought maybe it was the wind or something. I got real close and i heard it again. It was freaking amazing! lol...and now im an addict. Its like being pregnant without all the annoying pains. [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok,.im gonna go to bed now, coss you fingers for my eggs that they will still have heart beats in the morning [​IMG] most have pretty good heart beats now, I will bawl if they dont in the morning [​IMG]

8. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    [​IMG] good night! And let us know.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Lol, I know, I see those little heart beats and I sit there and try to lisen to them, but hear nothing. The eggs feel ok. And im 98% sure they will be fine. But im tired of sitting on my floor staring so im gonna go to bed. Lol. I will give you a update in the morning!

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by