HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by manctank, Oct 8, 2015.

1. manctank

manctank Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    Okay

I need help here i bought myself a nice coop that will hold about 6-8 chickens comfortably,last Sunday i bought my self 3 buff orpington chickens and 2 Delawares and they will not go in the hen house at night i have put a small light in there they have purina layer pellet to feed on up there as well and all they wanna do is roost on the floor of the coop. I have tried showing them into the hen house by putting them in there myself i am at a total loss how to get them in there. ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

This is where a picture is invaluable [​IMG]. If we can get a pic, we can help troubleshoot for you. Also, how old are your birds?

3. manctank

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    [​IMG]

the coop is like this 4ftw 8ftlong 6ft high except i have a ladder coming down from the hen house

4. manctank

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    The birds are between 3-6 mths old when i bought them they told me all 5 are laying now i also forgot to mention i have a guinea to this flock to help with predators.

5. manctank

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    [​IMG]

this is mine being built

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. manctank

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    thank you

8. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Have you tried putting them inside after dark? It might take some time for them to get used to the new set up. My chickens wanted to sleep in a 'dog pile' for a few weeks after I put up permanent roosts for them.

9. manctank

Oct 8, 2015
    Ovilla TX
    I am doing that now they also have roots inside the chicken house

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the ladder is your issue. I have walk-in coops myself so no personal experience, but I think they need something more like a solid ramp to walk up. Hopping/flapping from step to step is going to be difficult for them and they may not get it. it may also be a bit steep.

I would also not expect to add anymore birds to that coop. I think the 5 you already have pretty much max out your available space. More would invite behaviors from overcrowding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by