HELP HELP HELP

tattmom

Chirping
Feb 5, 2015
I HAVE A BABY CHICK THAT WAS BORN APROXIMATLEY DAYS AGO SHE IS NOW VERY LETHARGIC AND UNRESPONSIVE. I HAVE TRIED GATORADE AND PEDIALYGHT AND NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING. SHE IS WARM AND SEEMS COMFORTABLE SHE WONT KEEP HER EYES OPEN MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS AND REFUSES TO STAND OR EVEN SIT UP. ALL THE OTHERS WE GOT AT THE SAME TIME ARE FINE WITH NO PROBLEMS. WHAT DO I DO
hu.gif

There's probably not much more you can do. The pedialyte is a good thing to use...probably not the Gatorade though. Unfortunately some chicks just have a failure to thrive and it is nothing you are doing wrong. I don't believe in assisting outside of giving vitamins or electrolytes. If the chick is strong it will pull through and you will have a strong healthy chicken. If it doesn't then you just lost a weak flock member. I have experienced this myself when we lost our 3 day old little Buckeye, it was very sad.

The only other thing I would check is your brooder temperature. Make sure it's not TOO warm in there and that they have space to get away from the heat too. Too high of heat can make some lethargic.

Good luck to you!

Unfortunately we lost little Doni about a day after this post. She did well for about a day she even ate and drank a bit but simply was not strong enough to survive. The rest of my flock seem to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom