Help...Help! movement in egg trying to pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TNBarnQueen, May 18, 2011.

1. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I just hatched 9 chicks and had 5 that did not hatch. This is only day 21
    This is the thing. I checked after all the pipped eggs where hatched...the others left. I wanted to get chicks out so....4 of the eggs where DIS..air cells had drawn down which I am trying to figure out why. I run temp at 99.5 and H 45 average..during LD raise H to 60-65...sometimes it raises more when chicks start hatching. OK..this one egg left had movement and I can hear faint pecks and see its head moving. I am so afraid it will do like the others and the air cell will enlarge..thicken and trap the chick. Should I leave it??? or help it??? Concerned with only have 1 egg in there could make a difference.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Some folks do, some don't . I like to try to give them a chance. Very carefully, starting at the top of the egg I peel back bits of egg shell. If the membrane is dry, the chick is shrink wrapped and needs help. If I see a moist membrane I let it try to hatch itself. Hope that helps.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am trying to learn here- sorry I have no advice right now- what do you mean by the air cell was drawn down?

I have never seen that.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:This is what has been happening to my FBCMs at hatch. Not the other breeds, but the BCMs are almost always this way. I'll have to check in and see if someone smart comes in and has an answer, because I've tried different things and it's still happening.

5. TNBarnQueen

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Sometimes the air cell can dry out from lack of Humidity and/or high temperature. If you candle your eggs on day 8, 14 and 18...and draw a line where the air sac is with a pencil..at lockdown you will see the air cell size has changed. It is going to of course to a point due to the chicks growth. But...sometimes it can become a bit too dry and of course that makes it dry up and tighten down on the chick.
    Kind of like...if you take a slice of a potato and watch it...as it dries up the corners will start to crul and get more rubbery.

6. TNBarnQueen

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Quote:This is what has been happening to my FBCMs at hatch. Not the other breeds, but the BCMs are almost always this way. I'll have to check in and see if someone smart comes in and has an answer, because I've tried different things and it's still happening.

I will tell you the funniest thing on hatching....I keep a close eye on my incubators..my LG has a habit of just jumping to 102 out of the blue..and this is after running at 99 for 2 weeks straight or so. My Hova stays very consistent. A couple weeks ago we had several bad storms come through all in the same night. We had a lot of wind and hail damage so for the next week or so I was very busy and was not able to watch close after LD. I had a 100% hatch! Seemed like ignoring them worked better for me. I had missed one egg that was suppose to go into LD and it was still in the incubating bator...when I noticed it had already pipped so I had to let it hatch in it with the turner going. Talk about being on pins and needles. Anyway..this egg never had a H higher than 47...so...go figure that one! Since I am using a higher H for LD...it has improved my hatch rate.

Wolftracks...what humidity do you keep you incubator during incubation and what is it during lockdown...is your bator air forced? Also...do you rotate your eggs when you candle because the ones on the outside get more heat than those in the middle. Rotating helps even that out. Hope this helps!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Sometimes the air cell can dry out from lack of Humidity and/or high temperature. If you candle your eggs on day 8, 14 and 18...and draw a line where the air sac is with a pencil..at lockdown you will see the air cell size has changed. It is going to of course to a point due to the chicks growth. But...sometimes it can become a bit too dry and of course that makes it dry up and tighten down on the chick.
    Kind of like...if you take a slice of a potato and watch it...as it dries up the corners will start to crul and get more rubbery.

TY for the explanation. I will be on the lookout for this in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by