Help Help My Gurney's Catalog Just Came in the Mail!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by seminolewind, Jan 30, 2014.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    [​IMG] I didn't really feel like planting. Now I get this magazine in the mail and I just want to plant EVERYTHING!!! It's not even February.
    I want to buy all these seeds, vegetables, fruit and flowers, and go into my small pasture and shake them in a can and just spread seeds all over. What fun!!!

2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    I am so ready to start planting... I just started to get my "plant" catalogs in the mail also.
    The ground has been covered with snow for a month, I just can't wait to be able to see grass again.
    I actually already started a few things inside
    :ya

3. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Where I live, our "Spring" does't come until June! AAAAH! I so want to start my garden! I'm going to get a climbing rose and am so excited!

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    I know how you feel, I can't wait to start planting again.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I really do think they know just when to send those catalogs.

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I've reached a stage where I am immune from the lure of seed catalogs. It all looks so beautiful and easy on paper, but I remember the sweltering heat and humidity, the difficulty
    of keeping weeds and bugs out of the garden in this climate, not to mention the other garden predators. I certainly admire all of you who can do it!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. CupidsDelite

CupidsDelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Southeastern NC
    I still love the old Gurney's catalog. As a kid I used to pick out all the stuff I wanted and fill out the order form. That's usually as far as I'd get!

We recently closed our family run farm supply business. For the last 20 years I've kept 2 - 20x50 greenhouses going and now I'm reduced to 1 - 12x20. I had really got burned out on the whole nursery thing, but I've had a break so now the bug has hit me. (Plus I've a new bf and he is a gardening freak. He'd have loved it when the big houses were at full production) Fortunately I have tons of seeds in the freezer and a lot of potting soil I can recycle, so I don't have to buy much in that regard. The problem I'm having is the downsizing. I'm not going to need the numbers I've had to produce for so many years.

I transplanted tomatoes today, and the pepper's are coming along nicely. Sowed broccoli, cabbage, more tomatoes, eggplant, chamomile and parsley today.

I hope my boyfriend stays this excited when the garden need hoeing[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    CupidsDelite, when we last moved, I had to leave a 12 X 20 greenhouse behind! How I miss it. Happy planting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by