help! help! newly hatched baby ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catlady58, Jul 17, 2011.

1. catlady58

catlady58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Just now I found 2 baby ducks under my sitting duck! What do i do next? Mama is a rouen. She seems pretty washed out--hasn't got off the nest all day to eat or drink water. What do I need to do for the babies? I have put a tiny tray of water in there plus a big dish for mama, and tomorrow I will get some chick starter. Do you think other eggs will hatch? I am trying to figure out how to protect them from the hens and roosters, with whom the ducks share a large coop (1600 sq. ft) but the babies will have to be taken away from there, but when?

I really wasn't expecting any action for another several days--can someone guide me?[​IMG]

2. catlady58

Mar 18, 2011
    Aacckk! Two more are hatching![​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you put some temporary fencing around her? I have pet play pen panels and if someone goes broody, I just give her her own space and make sure she has food and water very close to the nest. You also have to make sure the food and water pans are shallow enough for the ducklings to eat and drink out of them.

4. catlady58

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks. Do I leave them with her a while? When should they start eating and drinking? How do I get them to do this? I am afraid they will get dehydrated![​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Until Wifezilla (experienced with broodies and hatching) gets back, I can offer a little experience with ducklings. Once they hatch, it may be a day or so before they eat because the yolk inside them is still feeding them (if anyone needs to correct me, please feel free). My ducklings at a day old seemed to figure out drinking right away, and by the time I put feed in front of them the day they arrived, they needed no help figuring out how to eat it (starter crumbles). They were shipped to me and I was assured they could go a day or two without food with no problem. They were fine.

I feel that if water is available (not too deep - just enough to get their bills into it) they will drink.

As far as leaving them with her, she may be a wonderful mom or not. Hard to know the first time. Watch closely for any signs of neglect or aggression, and remove them to a brooder if you see anything to worry about.

(ETA: my sources are BYC Duck Forum and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Amiga has it right [​IMG] Keep an eye on mom and don't panic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by