1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Help! Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yinzerchick, Sep 16, 2011.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I have a hen, 24 weeks that seemed okay this morning, then early this afternoon she looked real tired. I went out this evening and she had returned to the run, and was laying down. She didn't come out to get some scratch and treats. I now have her in the house, and I was going to try treating for sour crop and noticed it looks like she's hiccupping, dry heaving or gagging![​IMG] She isn't eating, but has drank some water. She looks good other wise, not fluffed up, no discharge, no lice or mites....She's just standing there with her eyes closed looking like she's gagging!! What should I do??? Any advice??

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

feel her crop. If there is a lump she may have a clog, give her olive oil and yogurt mixed with egg yolks.[​IMG]

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Her crop isn't hard, but it feels sorta full, but soft. I got a few drops of olive oil in her and massaged her crop. I heard some noise and she is now drinking some water [​IMG]r...How in the world do you get the chicken to open her mouth to take the olive oil? I'm afraid I'm going to hurt her. I only have blue berry yogurt, is that okay? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Usually if you drip it on their beak they will drink it, if not then you will have to lift the beak up a little bit and give it to her , and yes any type of yogurt is okay. hope it works.[​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would trreat her for coccidiosis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by