Help help quick! Momma picking egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Supermommy486, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    So I have babies hatching and I went to go check on Momma only to find her pecking at where one of her eggs has piped...I turned the egg around and put it a little bit further under her so she couldn't see it but is this normal?
    If so then no big deal but I want to make sure she isn't going to hurt it. FYI the membrane has been piped through as well.

THANK YOU!!

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have no idea if this is normal. I did have one hen who ate/killed the second chick to hatch. Not sure why though. I took all the other eggs out. The first chick had gotten out of the nest and couldn't get back in so I figure she though she was done hatching. It was her first time.

I'm not sure if moms help chicks hatch or not. I have one hatching chicks now but don't intefere unless I see something amiss such as previously stated.

3. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ok. I will keep a very watchful eye then. This is also a first time Momma so I'm a little nervous.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I watched our Chicklet help one of her chicks out of its egg. It made me nervous, but I didn't intervene. She hatched out all of her five eggs, all survived and grew up healthy, happy and strong, and Chicklet was a wonderful mother.

So it's possible.

5. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ok, that makes me feel a lot better. I will sit back and watch...THANKS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by