HELP HELP what do i do with my eggs that are hatching ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nick10atl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. nick10atl

nick10atl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    Okay i got a bunch of eggs that are in my inc that want be hatching for another week but i got 2 that are hatching tomorrow so what do i put these two in in order to keep them from getting egg stuff all in my inc and all over the other eggs and to keep them from messing with the other eggs that are still in the turner ????? please please help !
    thanks - nick

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I would just turn the turner off get your humidity up and don't open it til those two hatch. Unless you have another incubator?

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I would just put the newly-hatched chicks in the brooder. They'll be fine and the others can hatch unharassed.[​IMG]

4. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    yah i wish i had another incubator then i would have such a problem here lol but i dont... and they havnt hatched yet but im talking about like when they do hatch i dont want there egg krap to get all in my incubator ... so could is there anything i can put in my inc to keep them from doing this i guess thats the question im asking here...

5. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I don't mean another incubator - which would be nice, but I only have one, too.
    When the ifrst ones hatch then just move them into another area (brooder) as they hatch - not another incubator per se, it could be anything from a cat/dog carrier to a plastic container - the kind you might purchase from Wal-Mart with a hole cut in the lid - (the type used to store clothes, etc.), to a cardboard box with wire over the top so they get adequate ventilation but are safe from other pets you might have. I keep mine in my laundry room until they are old enough to go outside. That way they will not leave any droppings to foul the incubator if you get them as soon as possible after they hatch. Just put them under a heat lamp and make certain they are confined and safe. I just bought one of the clamp-type lamps at the feed store I frequent & I use a regular incandescent lamp light in it. Position it at the level where the chicks seem most comfortable. A thermometer is really a good idea but if you don't have one you can make do by watching the chicks closely. If they are peeping alot & huddling together, then they are usually too cool, if they gather in the far corners of the container, sometimes panting, then they are too warm. You just have to gauge it accordingly & make the necessary changes right away because either extreme can cause problems and even death.
    I don't know of anything to keep them in one section of the incubator because as mine hatch & get stronger they crawl all over the place. You will have to have somewhere to put them after they all hatch at least. Hope I helped...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Hahahaha, I did that too! Get ready to stay up all night! When the eggs pip unplug the turner and wait for them to hatch. When they hatch, pull em out! Clean your bator immediately after the other eggs hatch. It will smell terrible in a few days.

7. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay but i thoght that ur supposed to let them stay in the inc for a while b4 u take them out cuz it will chill them or something.... but ur saying its okay just to take them out right after they hatch right..

8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Yes, as long as your brooder is warm enough. They can dry and fluff up just as easy in the brooder.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    ...and to keep them from getting "egg krap" on the other eggs and the incubator why not get a pack of those GLAD plastic containers (sandwich size) and put the two eggs in one of those inside the incubator? That should contain the fluids while they hatch...then once out of the shells whisk them away to the brooder and heatlamp.

Ed

10. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay ! suweet! what about like all the gunk thats gonna get down into the bottom of the inc should i take my eggs out and go clean it and then put them back in or is that not good for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by