HELP hen attacked by other hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thomas885, Feb 22, 2013.

1. thomas885

thomas885 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    I went out side and saw my hens head was bleeding. theres no feathers in the area and when it dryed up it terned black but mabey its just dry blood. I moved him away from all the other chickens.
    please help.

thanks for reading

2. thomas885

Jan 7, 2013
    I can try to get some pics if i needed

thanks[​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Is it possible your hen got scalped? That'll mean a flap of skin was torn away from the skull. Is the blood from the comb or the head?

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Pictures?

5. HamburgCross21

HamburgCross21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Its just the pecking order, and i'm guessing that hen is at the bottom of it.

6. thomas885

Jan 7, 2013
    Is it possible your hen got scalped? That'll mean a flap of skin was torn away from the skull. Is the blood from the comb or the head?
    The blood is coming from the head i am almost 100 percent shure.

7. country chick13

country chick13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I am having a similar problem. It is not just one of my hens that is getting pecked, we have 15 hens (3 are 2 yrs old rest are almost 1 yr old). There was no major issues until we got a huge amount of snow, and the girls have been staying in their coop (their choice, they can come in and out of the coop as they please). There are a few hens that seem to be fine, but the majority of them now have patches of missing feathers. I watched them and noticed that my two older RIR are the most aggressive, but they also seem to have taught the others their bad habits! I have tried adding protein to their diet, it hasn't seemed to help at all. I am going to TS today to get some blu kote to see if that helps. I can't do anything about spacing until the spring, we were planning on making another coop anyway because we will be getting 15 more hens this spring. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

8. thomas885

Jan 7, 2013
    would any one sugest blu-kote or hydrogen proxide on the head area

9. thomas885

Jan 7, 2013
    i hered that hydrogen proxide isnt so good so blu-kote mabey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by