help hen bleeds after laying an egg?

ddias84

Hatching
12 Years
May 21, 2007
My hen has been pulling out her feathers by her bottom after she lays an egg, I thought she knew what she was doing but the last few days she seems to take at least an hour to lay an egg, is this normal? Also her bottom has been really red and swoolen, bloody looking after laying an egg please help?

I don't know what is wrong in general- and it sounds like your hen has a real problem- but most people suggest "Blu-kote" to prevent self-picking. It makes the red flesh colored blue, which chickens don't peck as much. Maybe that will help her stop hurting herself so that you can figure out the rest of the problem.

-MTchick

Thank you for your sugestions I was able to get an appointment with a local vet that will treat chickens tomorrow afternoon, i hope everything will turn out to be okay or at least treatable. Because otherwise she is acting fine she drinks, eats, and walks and runs around fine. I adopted her about two months ago when a cock fighter was arrested and I want her to be okay. Thanks again and I will look into the Blu-Kote, I will let you all know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom