Help: Hen Falling Asleep Standing Up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikkicoolmama, Dec 10, 2014.

1. nikkicoolmama

nikkicoolmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    I noticed that my 10 month old EE hen is falling asleep standing up a lot today. Her crop isn't empty, and she's not acting sick in any other way. I don't know if it's relevant, but I have had a few strange eggs this week, one half size and 2 extremely pointy. I brought her in for observation, she's sleeping in my 10 year old daughter's arms. Any thoughts/suggestions?? THANKS!

2. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    I forgot to mention that they are also molting a bit.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    First thing I would do is treat for coccidiosis. Your chickens are molting and probably not as resistant as usual. Try Corid or SulfaDimethoxine.

4. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    I got the meds and will start tomorrow. Should I treat the whole flock (of only 5 hens) in case they all are getting it, or should i separate and treat only the one who is lethargic?

5. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    BTW, I got the Corid, it seemed to be the better choice.

6. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    Also, while I had her inside, she was eating and drinking and had normal stools. But was still narcoleptic.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Treat all of your chickens.

8. nikkicoolmama

Jul 10, 2014
    Central Illinois
    she is much worse today. walking around with her eyes closed, puffed up feathers, empty crop, messy vent feathers. i brought her back inside to try to keep her warmer and see if i can get some med in her. she won't take it voluntarily. should i syringe feed it to her?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Syringe feeding is too dangerous, you should tube feed fluids and keep her warm.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by