Help: Hen Falling Asleep Standing Up

I have a mixed bird ...part jersey giant and RIR i think, but a couple of weeks ago my husband had to put down one that we had that had a crop deformity, but my girl Brownie.... almost seems depressed. We separated her from the others....but she just has the same symptoms as nikkicoolmama described. The constant falling asleep... we brought her in today for a few hrs....warm bath to ensure no egg was stuck,,,i even took the hair dryer to dry her..she seemed to enjoy it. she did eat and drink a little... but still just falls asleep all the time. We stzrtex her tonight on some genreral antibiotic...

It's really cold outside and their coop is about 45 degrees. She doesnt seem to like the cold.....

Looking for some feedback and help....

ok, this has to be just a really strange coincidence, but we had taken in a friend's hen about a month ago and tried to get her assimilated into the flock and i decided it wasn't working out (my flock wouldn't let her eat and drink, and she pretty much just stayed on a perch all day.) the pecking order of my flock seemed to be thrown into disarray as well. Spot (my sick hen) was near the top of the order and i believe someone else has taken over. so, anyway, i gave that new hen back to my friend last week. i mean, surely we're not just dealing with depressed chickens, are we??? is that even a thing?

We have had her since we got our babies. They are about 10 months old too...but she turned out to be a mix and haS alwaYs been kind of a loner. But once the othe small one had to be put down... almost immediately within a couple of days she started with these symptoms. How is your baby...has she responded to antibiotics well?

she is much perkier, she's going to sleep some, but it looks more intentional (she's actually nesting down instead of just dropping off.) i have noticed some reddish bits in her stool last night and this morning- i don't know if i'm overanalyzing. we did see her take a drink this morning and she finished 2 scrambled eggs and is eating her crumbles now. i noticed that she's lost all her fluffy butt feathers to the molt, i wonder if she just got too cold. it's been in the mid 30's (which is warmer than it has been.) i have a good wind block up, but no heater for them.

if she stays this way today, i will probably put her back out tonight. she was crying for her flock last night, so sad! also, i've got her in the bath tub, and it's kinda a pain. :)

she is much perkier, she's going to sleep some, but it looks more intentional (she's actually nesting down instead of just dropping off.)  i have noticed some reddish bits in her stool last night and this morning- i don't know if i'm overanalyzing. we did see her take a drink this morning and she finished 2 scrambled eggs and is eating her crumbles now.  i noticed that she's lost all her fluffy butt feathers to the molt, i wonder if she just got too cold.  it's been in the mid 30's (which is warmer than it has been.)  i have a good wind block up, but no heater for them.

if she stays this way today, i will probably put her back out tonight.  she was crying for her flock last night, so sad! also, i've got her in the bath tub, and it's kinda a pain. :)
The cold should not bother her unless she has an underlying illness.

Babybird, have you wormed your chickens? And what did you use? Chickens will not mourn another chicken to the point of illness. However, the stress could cause an underlying problem to come to the surface. What does her poop look like? Is she drinking?

I have a mixed bird ...part jersey giant and RIR i think, but a couple of weeks ago my husband had to put down one that we had that had a crop deformity, but my girl Brownie.... almost seems depressed. We separated her from the others....but she just has the same symptoms as nikkicoolmama described. The constant falling asleep... we brought her in today for a few hrs....warm bath to ensure no egg was stuck,,,i even took the hair dryer to dry her..she seemed to enjoy it. she did eat and drink a little... but still just falls asleep all the time. We stzrtex her tonight on some genreral antibiotic...

It's really cold outside and their coop is about 45 degrees. She doesnt seem to like the cold.....

Looking for some feedback and help....
@Babybird60 , you might want to start your own thread. If you do, you'll might get more advice:
Click here to start new thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom