HELP! Hen has cherry stuck in her throat!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by LedgeWoods, Jun 25, 2011.

1. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Need I say more??!!! She made a pig of herself and grabbed a whole cherry - down the hatch it went, but not far. It's sitting just under her beak. She's been trying to get it down for about 20 minutes down - doing a gulping motion. It seems to have moved down a bit, but very slowly. Anything I could do??

2. doudini2

doudini2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Om, I hope she is still ok, when you find this post. their tube goes around their neck toward their right side. If you could maybe massage it down with your fingers. Try to gently rub her neck downward. But that would only work if it is in her esophagus, if it is stuck in her,breathing tube, what if it goes down into her lung. try it if you think it,is on the way to stomach.
    Good luck.

3. LedgeWoods

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    By the time she roosted last night the cherry was "down" but she was spitting up foamy white stuff occasionally. This morning she isn't coming down from her roost and she's not following her usual "come to the deck for treats" routine at all. I hope it's just a matter of waiting for digestion...[​IMG]

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Oh my hope she's alright! The white foamy stuff could be stomache acid. [​IMG]

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    My peafowl were eating cherries just today...Two of them ate whole ones and before I could take the stem off Alto ate it but none of mine have any trouble swallowing them...Normally I break them up for them but today they insisted on eating whole ones.

I hope she is okay, one of my peacocks ate something that took him a while to swallow one time. He would stand funny and strain his neck but he was able to get it down whatever it was and nothing bad happened...I hope she is okay.[​IMG]

6. LedgeWoods

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    I had posted my situation on the chicken emergencies forum also. Enick seemed to improve as today went on even though she didn't come out of the coop for at least an hour after everyone else was out roaming. She was eating and snacking on bugs/greens throughout the yard all day, resting under shade trees and roaming around. Sometimes she looked like she was trying to stretch her neck to swallow with a bulging crop area, and other times she seemed fine. I gave her some mushy, olive-oil-soaked cat food this evening. Hopefully things pass and she's good as new tomorrow. I would like to guess that it would take only a day for birds to digest what they eat, but really that's only a guess!

MinxFox - the fact that you had a peacock "recover" from a similar incident is reassuring. My daughter was the one feeding the cherries and felt bad - kept telling her it wasn't her fault. She's becoming a worse chicken/peacock addict than me!![​IMG]

7. bird

bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Oregon
    Great news to hear that the hen is better [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    That is great news!!! [​IMG]

9. LedgeWoods

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Enick raced me to the deck for treats this morning after opening the coop door, so I'd say she's good as new. Whew. [​IMG]

10. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    Glad to know she's feeling a bit better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by