Help! Hen has hatched 5 & abandoned eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DurangoCal, Aug 18, 2011.

1. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Our sweet Momma hen hatched four babies yesterday, one today and now has no interest in laying on the last three and is spending all her time with the new chicks. These particular 3 were layed on the 29th (I wrote on the eggs with a sharpie.) The rest of the clutch was laid between the 26th and 28th. Can I hatch these myself by putting them under a lamp??? Help!!! What to do? Oh, and also these three eggs are silent. With the other eggs I could here tapping and chirping once in awhile but that was right before they hatched.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would do something.. They are so close to hatch. I would candle them to see if they are alive.

3. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    I will go out and candle them right now. Today is day 20 so they only have one more day!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    At night, put them back under her. During the day, maybe it's hot enough outside to hatch them, or in your attic.

5. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    One is a green egg that I can't see through, of the other two one brown one has an air pocket at the top (did this one stop developing I while back), the other one I can't see anything at all. There is a crack in the one with the air bubble. The crack is all along the top and then on the other side there is also a peck mark that looks like the mother pecked it gently from the outside. I have them in my lap now as they are barely lukewarm now. She is not interested at all.

6. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Quote:t's only about 82 degrees so not warm enough to let them stay out right? Maybe putting them under a lap until tonight when I can slip them back under her and hope they hatch in the night?

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you aren't seeing movement when you candle they most likely aren't alive. The one with the large crack doesn't sound good at all. I would double check them by candling in a closet so you can see better. Hens seem to know when they are done for what ever reason.

8. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    One is alive for sure it just chirped. I put them in a shoebox with a heat lamp about 6 inches above. Is this too close???

9. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Yes try the lamp do you have incubator?

10. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Quote:I don't have an incubator. Is 6 inches away from the lamp too close? My son heard a chirp again. So one at least is alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by