HELP HEN HAS HUGE HOLES

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hrayb, Apr 26, 2017.

1. hrayb

hrayb New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Help my hen has multiple wounds on her and maggots are in one of the bad ones, there was one night when I went to lock them up I could find her for about an hour or so, and finally when I went back and found her she seemed fine. But now she isn't as active, she doesn't really want to leave the coop, she does jump and walk around the coop just doesn't tleave. What should I do?! [​IMG]

2. Abriana

Abriana Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2017
    my blue coop
    If you have a rooster with spurs, it could be spur wounds. A spur wound occurs when the rooster's spur catches on the hens skin and yanks, ripping a hole in the hen's side. You can buy Vetericyn and Sliver Sulfadiazine cream to put on the wound to promote healing and prevent infection. It could also have been a hawk or other predator. It is probably best to seperate her from the rest of the chickens in a run inside the pen so they can see her and she can be outside. You can trim your roosters spurs and wrap them in duct tape to make sure this doesn't happen again. Be careful when trimming because they can bleed if you trim too much off. If they bleed, pack cornstarch into the spur and watch him until it stops bleeding. If the hen seems droopy or isn't eating or drinking, the cut has probably become infected and she may have a fever. You should bring her to the vet in this case. Hope this helps!

3. hrayb

hrayb New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Thank you!
    I ended up taking her inside and washing her off with warm water, and then I put peroxide in her wounds. She seems to be messing with the actual wound picking the maggots out, I know they will just eat the dead tissue, but I hate that she's uncomfortable.
    And sadly there aren't any vets around me who care for chickens.

4. hrayb

hrayb New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Our poor Lucille has passed away, [​IMG][​IMG]

5. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by