**HELP**Hen Has Problem With Feet Keeps Pecking At them????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carpetbeggar, Feb 4, 2011.

1. carpetbeggar

carpetbeggar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    For the last couple of weeks I have a hen that keeps pecking at both of her feet until they are all bloody. She just sits on her roost all day and won't come down to eat or drink hardly at all.
    She seems fine other than there is something bothering her feet. When she stands she keeps shifting her weight to either foot and when standing can tell it is bothering her as she keeps going to her feet like there's something wrong and can't get back up to her roost fast enough.
    I'm not sure if the problem is she started picking at her feet for some innocent reason or other and now the scabs on her feet is what's bothering her or there was some other unforeseeable problem that made her start picking at her feet.
    I gave her a foot soak and put some polysporin on it, but I'd like to know if there is something else besides the sores from her pecking that I'm dealing with?
    The other chickens do not bother her at all and she is the one doing all the pecking at herself.
    Like I said I'd like to know if there was another problem that developed that made her start doing that or if it was the pecking that has caused the problem?
    Her scales on her feet and legs are normal and it doesn't look like she has mites or any other pest in her feet.

Don't know...Please help as she seems to have started picking at them a lot worse today.
    Thanks.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Have you tried blue kote? I'm at a loss as to 'why' it started, but if they see blood they will peck at it. Turn it purple and they quit . It's worth a try.

3. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have no idea what's going on, but if you need to keep her from pecking you might be able to make a chicken "cone of shame" out of x-ray film or something like it. Good luck!!!!!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She could have scaly leg mites. That may be causing irritation, thus pecking. Here's what I would do: Take some Sevin Dust powder, and mix it with some vasceline. Spread that on her legs nice and heavy twice a day for a few weeks. That will kill the parasites, if that's what's wrong.

I am just guessing. If you could take a pic of her legs, that would really help. Good luck with her!

5. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I am dealing with scaley mites on my chickens feet right now. They looked swollen and the scales actually raise up and they turn whitish. I am using vaseline, but the sevin dust added with it is a great ideal. Good luck [​IMG]

6. carpetbeggar

carpetbeggar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    I'll try to take a picture later of them.

I'm really not thinking they are the mites. I have one that had them and it looks nothing like that.

Her scales on her legs and feet are a deep yellow and still nice and smooth. She only has sores around the toe areas where the skin/scales meet the nail and along the side of her toes. The sores I think are caused by her pecking.
    She keeps lifting her feet up like she is bothered by standing on them and only seems relieved when she's in a roost position. I don't think it's bumblefoot either because the bottom of her feet are fine.
    Could it be caused by slight frost burn/bite?

Sometimes the hens will jump right in the bucket of water and what if her feet got wet and frostbit them a bit?
    Would that cause her to pick at them?
    Maybe some of the sores were caused by frost and then she started picking at them because of the irritation?

I really don't know as I'm just throwing things out there.

None of the other 22 brown laying hens she's housed with are showing any of these symptoms and all are doing very well.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I had a hen with a sore foot and epsom salts warm water baths twice a day helped. You could then coat her legs with cooking oil just in case she is in the early stages of scaly leg mites. If that isn't it then this will do no harm.
    sharon

8. poultryrox11

poultryrox11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Petersburgh, New York
    Quote:I agree with the blue kote idea. I think the pecking may possibly be an early sign of scaly leg mites, but i suggest you try the blue kote first. If that doesn't work, try vaseline. Good luck and keep us posted! [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think a picture would help us all know how to help you better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by