Help hen is egg bound!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luna and Comb, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Luna and Comb

Luna and Comb New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Ok so I have a Rhode Island Red hen that's about 4 years old. Her names Brownie and I love her very much she's my little lap chicken :) but anyways I found her a couple days ago and I new she was egg bound because I've had many other chickens with this problem. I helped chickens with this about 3 times and they lived and the last resent times those hens were egg bound I couldn't save them... I really want to save Brownie becuz she is one of my favorite. I have reached up inside her to try to get the egg out. I feel the shape of the egg but not the actual egg so I can't brake it to get it out :( any help or Ideas??? Can I save her? Any help will be wanted! Thx

2. TheChickenGirl1

TheChickenGirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    hold her bottom over hot steamy water, but make sure it's not too hot that it will burn her. That usually helps mine when they get egg bound. Hope I helped! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Luna and Comb

Luna and Comb New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Ok thanks

4. Luna and Comb

Luna and Comb New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    She is seems to be doing better now I think but will she get better altogether if the egg is not passed???

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have some calcium tablets or Tums around the house, give her one crushed up in some food or yogurt. Crushed egg shell, liquid calcium gluconate, or oystershell would also work. A lack of calcium may help cause egg binding. Then a warm soak in shallow water, massaging her lower abdomen may help. To check for an egg, you can use a rubber glove, and insert a finger into the vent an inch or so. Here is some reading: http://beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by