Help! Hen is getting worse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyschartz21, Jan 2, 2015.

1. emilyschartz21

emilyschartz21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    She has been acting strange. She used to be so loud and always making noise. Lately she has been very quiet and barely making noises. It's almost like she's trying to make noise but can't. She used to be the first one up on the roosting bar at night and now she hides in a nesting box and won't move. She walked around outside all day today. What can I do to help her? What's wrong with her?

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

How's the eating and drinking? Is she laying eggs? Is her poop normal?

3. emilyschartz21

May 10, 2014
    Poop is normal. She was eating and drinking yesterday. I didn't get a chance to watch her as close today. She hasn't laid an egg for a while but she just got done molting not too long ago. I made her get a drink tonight and she was fighting it at first

4. hennible

Ok. Pale comb? Full crop in the morning? Any new birds? And just in case feel for a stuck egg... Has she lost weight that you can see? How old?

5. hennible

Oh runny eyes or nose? Sneezing?

6. emilyschartz21

May 10, 2014
    Comb doesn't look pale. We've felt her constantly and no stuck egg. Two younger hens but they've been together now for almost a year. She hasn't lost any weight. She's about two years old. She doesn't really have a runny nose. She does sneeze every once in a while

7. emilyschartz21

May 10, 2014
    What do you mean by full crop in the morning

8. hennible

The crop on her neck where she stores her food before it goes down to the gizzard if it is still full in the morning it could be a sign of sour crop or impacted crop. If she's sneezing often she could have a respiratory infection.

9. hennible

It doesn't look like I know enough based on what you said to really help diagnose the bird...but there's nothing wrong with giving her some natural boosters, A vitamin and electrolyte mix that could be added to her water could help or apple cider vinegar added to the water you could also try feeding her some garlic... Apparently another way to check for sour crop is to smell the beak area and if it smells bad (like rotten) that's a sign too...

10. emilyschartz21

May 10, 2014
    It doesn't smell. I have her an antibiotic thing in her water. It's been in there for a week. She isn't sneezing much anymore. It's just her being weird towards the evening and not making noises. This morning when I went outside she was jumping around like crazy and making noise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by