Help! Hen is pale, a bit listless, and has runny poop!

Southstar

Chirping
Mar 21, 2021
South Florida
My hen, Foxy, is very pale as of today. She wasn't interested in egg (which is normally her favorite) she did get excited over live and freeze dried mealworms though. I don't know what could be causing this. Florida is pretty hot right now so I was contemplating bringing her inside. I gave her nutridrench this morning as well as tube fed her 20ml of baby parrot food and egg. She's got access to Hydro Hen water. My flock was wormed a couple of months ago with Safeguard. I haven't seen any mites, but I'll check again. What should I do next?

I did decide to bring her inside as it is 90+ degrees outside. I gave her a bit of water. I’m really trying to figure out if this is something I need to medicate for. She did have a runny poop. I took photos and will attach, although the photo of her doesn’t really show how pale she was earlier.

Update: I took her to the vet. He did a fecal float test on her and it came back clear. No parasites or bad bacteria found. He said if she gets worse to bring her back and they'll see what they can do.

Attachments

• 7ADF3CA4-9B72-478D-88E6-B6F796DB53B5.jpeg
    7ADF3CA4-9B72-478D-88E6-B6F796DB53B5.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 12
  • D8EDFEAF-053A-40B5-9FDF-FD4E19FB1C64.jpeg
    D8EDFEAF-053A-40B5-9FDF-FD4E19FB1C64.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
When is the last time she laid an egg?

Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs - is there any bloat or fluid?
Often when a laying hen is showing symptoms of lethargy, they are having reproductive issues. Peritonitis, cancer, etc. can be common. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
I think you are doing what you can for her.
Hopefully she will perk up for period of time.

I took her to an avian vet. $300 in bloodwork later, she's anemic and low on calcium and phosphorous. She's getting nutridrench daily and the vet gave her an injection of Tylan in case it's an infection. She'll be getting Tylan soluable powder in her water for the next few days. Foxy is underweight. Her keelbone isn't sticking out too bad though. She weighs only 4lbs right now and I'm making sure to give her foods that she's interested in. I probably should have included this earlier, but Foxy has not laid an egg in almost 2 years. I've had her for 4 years, but I don't know how old she is.

She is not fond of her layer pellets, so I'm wondering if that caused the deficiencies.

I took her to an avian vet. $300 in bloodwork later, she's anemic and low on calcium and phosphorous. She's getting nutridrench daily and the vet gave her an injection of Tylan in case it's an infection. She'll be getting Tylan soluable powder in her water for the next few days. Foxy is underweight. Her keelbone isn't sticking out too bad though. She weighs only 4lbs right now and I'm making sure to give her foods that she's interested in. I probably should have included this earlier, but Foxy has not laid an egg in almost 2 years. I've had her for 4 years, but I don't know how old she is.

She is not fond of her layer pellets, so I'm wondering if that caused the deficiencies.
My hens don’t like pellets either. I feed scratch and peck layer feed, I have an Amazon Visa card and I use the points from that to pay for their feed. It works out for me. I go through a 25 lb bag a month on average for 3 hens that also free range. Just sharing some info.... :)

I'm glad you were able to see the vet.
At her age and not laying eggs for a couple of years, she may also be having some reproductive issues which are common in laying hens. Cancer, Peritonitis, etc.
Hopefully she will perk up for a while with the medication.
If her keel is not stickout that bad, then she's been eating something.

Back
Top Bottom