Help hen is sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Santa Fe Strong, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Santa Fe Strong

Santa Fe Strong In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2017
    She’s a Hamshire Red, I noticed her this afternoon kinda wheeze off in a corner by herself. Everything around here was closed by the time I discovered it. She’s just over 4 months old. I have 7 others that were brought in with her and we raised them sick chicks. Her wheezing has gotten worse. Given her some b12 and electrolytes, but have to put it in a syringe, she won’t drink on her own. Gave her some oats and scrambled eggs. She ate a little bit but not much. Her crop feels empty so I don’t think she’s eaten all day.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don’t want to loose her.
    Here the link to the video

Attached Files:

2. Clubber1234

Clubber1234 Free Ranging

Feb 11, 2018
    My Coop
    Have you got any apple cider vinegar?
    If you have try giving her some of it.

3. Santa Fe Strong

Sep 16, 2017
    Got up this morning and I have another one. Going to sanitize all food and water dishes. Going to clean both coops. I read about apple cider vinegar. Gave her last night. She did drink it.
    Is there Anything I can get from local feed store to give them? Is there Anything I can give the other birds to try to get a head of this?

4. Get them on euthromycin antibiotics. I just lost 64 head same thing and worked on them 24..7. They all died in 7 days.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like she has a chronic respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) coryza or others. It comes back again and again when they are stressed from cold weather or during molting. It will always be in your flock while any of these chickens remain in your flock. Any new chickens will also get it. The best thing to do is to get them tested or cull and send in one or two for a necropsy by your state vet or poultry lab. Tylan 50 injectable given orally can be used to treat symptoms, but the disease is never cured. Did they all come from another farm or breeder?

6. Santa Fe Strong

Sep 16, 2017
    All 12 came from the same breeder. 2 different times. 1st was the 4 BR then few months later I went and got 8 more. The 4BR have been laying eggs since December. The other 8 are 4 months old. The 4BR are in one coop and the 8 are in a different one. What caused me to take a closer look is one of the 4 month old was in the hen house for the BR. This morning the BR showed signs so I pulled her out in quarantine. After cleaning coops I’m going to leave the remaining 7 in there cage. They have plenty of room. The remaining 3 BR I’m going to move them away from everyone just Incase it’s isolated to their coop.
    I also got some probiotic, & Tylan 50. Should I go ahead a treat the other 3 BR with Tylan 50 as a precaution?

7. Santa Fe Strong

Sep 16, 2017
    I got some Tylan 50, any luck with that

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable is used to treat symptoms. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound of weight give 2-3 times a day for 5 days. I would give it orally, but you may also give injections into the breast muscle. I would only treat the chickens with symptoms. Probiotics are good during and after antibiotics. Make sure they are drinking well.

9. Santa Fe Strong

Sep 16, 2017
    It was difficult to her to drink last night. We were giving her a mix with a syringe but it wasn’t substantial. I gave both the injection this morning. Now I was told once a day and alternate her breasts. So the difference is the frequency?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are a million old posts about Tylan on BYC. A good drug book called Plumbs Veterinary Handbook states that dosage of Tylan for chickens is 10-40 mg per Kg (5-20mg per pound) given 2-4 times a day for up to 5 days. Tylan 50 contains 50 mg per ml.

That can be given orally or by intramuscular injection. Many find that Tylan can be harsh when given as an injection, and some have reported muscle damage. So I usually would recommend giving it orally straight into the beak a drop at a time so as mot to choke them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: