Help! Hen is very sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shawnellabella, Feb 2, 2014.

1. shawnellabella

shawnellabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    Okay so she was just fine yesterday and now today she is stumbly and sitting and sleeping wherever I put her down, she is really cold and I got her to drink some water, but she really isn't eating anything I offer her, what can I do for her and what's wrong?!?? I brought her inside

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome,
    You don't say how old she is?? Is she an only chick - are the others ok? How does she look in general - listless, dull feathers etc. is she pooping? what color? .... more info will help folks to form some sort of idea as to what's going on, Sue

3. shawnellabella

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    She is around a year old and she looks like herself, her comb is a little darker and I put her in front of the heater and keep making her drink water [​IMG]
    She seems to be enjoying the heat as she's lifted up her feathers to let it in

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Is it possible she simply got overly chilled in the coop? Perhaps there is a draft that she was sitting in. I would keep her indoors for a day or so. Make sure she drinks, try some oatmeal with yoghurt or mushy cat kibbles to tempt her to eat. I wish I could be more helpful, but I think you will simply have to 'wait & see' what develops. Good luck & keep us posted, Sue

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It's really hard to say, it could be so many things. Has she been laying through the winter? You can check her over very carefully to see if she has a lice/mite infestation that is making her weak. Is she on a regular deworming schedule that would rule out a heavy infestation? Usually with worms though you see a gradual decline. What do her droppings look like? Check and see if she feels like she's lost weight. Is she making any kind of oddball breathing noises? Wheezing, rattling, gurgling? If her comb is dark that can indicate heart/circulatory problems. Sometimes all you can do is try to keep them hydrated, warm and try to get food into them and see how it goes.

6. shawnellabella

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    She do
    she doesn't lay she's a rescue and after she was chased by a lab she stopped laying

7. shawnellabella

Jun 16, 2013
    Winlock, WA
    Her nose sounds stuffy and her comb looks fine, I crisco them every other day because I heard it prevents frost bite, her poop was pretty much all liquid this morning but now it's thicker and more regular looking and she is as heavy as she was when I got her, I checked her for lice and other parasites, I didn't see any

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by