HELP!! Hen isn’t eating!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BokchoySama, Jun 25, 2018.

1. BokchoySama

BokchoySama Hatching

Apr 18, 2018
    I had bought a hen a couple days ago who is roughly 2 years old and something was off about her. She simply isn’t eating and it worries me.

She’s active enough to dig a little bit and call out for our rooster and I see her drinking water but I haven’t seen her eating much at all. I only see her picking at little weeds growing out from the concrete or little bits of dirt which I know isn’t enough for her. She laid an egg just yesterday but I doubt she’s broody, she’s been moving slower and slower but I think that’s because she hasn’t been eating.

Her crop is normal just empty..I don’t know what to do or what I should feed her :( She’s been laying down a lot lately and hasn’t been hanging around the flock like she should.

2. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Canada Strong and Free
    Cook her up a scrambled egg, sprinkle some layer feed on it ....does she have grit? Clean water?

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    When I have a hen not feeling well, I wet some feed in a tuna can.
    I had a hen last month that was listless. She had a impacted crop that was hard.
    I put her in a dog crate with water. I massaged her crop several times after she drank. I put her in the coop after sunset and put her back in the crate before sunrise.
    The next day her crop was squishy and slightly smaller.
    I offered her a small amount of very wet crumbles a few times a day. I massaged her crop after each feeding. She was getting more energetic.
    I continued the wet feed and massaging on the third day.
    By the end of the third day she was full of energy and pooping regularly and wanted out.
    I put her in the coop at sunset and she's been fine since.
    I don't know what's wrong with your hen. But she needs nutrition and feed has all necessary nutrients. If her crop in squishy I would start the wet feed immediately, a small amount several times a day and massage after each feeding.
    Check to make sure she's pooping.
    My hens have unlimited access to dry crumbles. But I give them a treat of wet feed as a treat, occasionally. They love it. GC

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  4. BokchoySama

BokchoySama Hatching

Apr 18, 2018
    As far as I know she has everything she needs, I gave her some scramble eggs with some feed in it and she’s been gobbling it up. Turns out she doesn’t like eating dry/hard feed so the moistness from the eggs made it just right for her :)

5. BokchoySama

BokchoySama Hatching

Apr 18, 2018
    Yep, I mixed in some feed with moist scrambled eggs and she’s finally started eating. Turns out that she hasn’t been eating because her feed was too hard/dry, I’ll be continuing this wet feed diet for a while :)

GC-Raptor and snow5164 like this.
  6. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Canada Strong and Free
    That’s great ! I’m so happy , I wet or ferment all my hens feed. Just keep a bucket
    if feed and water til it starts bubbling 2-4 days depends on heat.

Too much work ?

Pour feed in a pan add water and stir ... easy peesy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by