Help! Hen jumped off roost in middle on night

Eddie12109

🌼🐓🐓⚽️
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have made past threads about this hen so I will just give a recap... she had constant sour crop and ended up having pendulous. She wouldn’t eat until I gave her a molasses flush and for the past two weeks she has been shoving her face with food trying to regain the weight she lost. She used to sleep in an egg laying box because she didn’t feel well but lately she has been able to get to the roosts. For the past two or three nights it has been in the 70s or low 80s Fahrenheit and my chickens seem to be handling it horribly. Five of them are panting constantly. It is hot but I’m not sure if it is normal.
well anyways last night I saw one of them stretching out her neck and then opening her mouth wide, in one motion. It only seems to happen right when she is on her roost for the night.
tonight, the pendulous crop girly was on her roost and last night and tonight she has been panting hard, I mean she was noisy with it and it seemed to be like she was super hot. Well later on she jumped off of her roost and landed on the floor and then managed to get back up but lower on the roost. And this is at night when it’s pretty scary for chickens. She doesn’t do that normally and I am pretty concerned at why during the night she would jump off
I brought her inside and she started doing the stretchy neck motion. They just extend their necks and then open their mouths super wide. She could just be adjusting her crop but she did it constantly and the previous night another hen with no crop problems was doing it.

my only idea as to why this is happening is gapeworm. I don’t give safeguard every month (or whatever the rules for that is) I only give it when I think it is needed. I gave all of my hens 1/2 mL of it today and plan to give it again tomorrow and the next day and the wait ten days...
Is there anything more I can do. Why would they be stretching their necks like this and have very labored and noisy breathing at night? Should I treat for respiratory problems as well? Why do you think my pendulous crop girl jumped off her roost in the night?
if anyone has any advice or recommendations please share!!

Have you checked your coop for mites? You need to do it at night. Look for tiny bugs running up the legs of your chickens. Run a damp paper towel over the perches. If it comes away with red smears, you will know why your chickens have been so stressed out at night.

Other than that, monitor this particular hen for a crop disorder.

Have you checked your coop for mites? You need to do it at night. Look for tiny bugs running up the legs of your chickens. Run a damp paper towel over the perches. If it comes away with red smears, you will know why your chickens have been so stressed out at night.

Other than that, monitor this particular hen for a crop disorder.
During the day i occasionally see little red spider things. Would that be what they are? How would i treat this? What do they do And also do they have a specific name?

Well. Bingo. You've got northern fowl mites very likely. They are driving your chickens crazy, and quite possibly slowing ruining their health. They will feed on the chickens' during the night, and it makes them anemic, setting them up for all kinds of health issues, acute stress being the least of them.

Mites are in the spider family, so that's why they look like little spiders. You need to clean out the coop and spray deep into all cracks and where every piece of wood overlaps and joins another. Permethrin spray or Elector PSP will both be effective if you can manage to hit them deep in all the cracks where they live and breed.

Great. So I have DE and every day I spray them with garlic and also poultry protector which is for mites. Since they have raised scales every other day at night I put Vaseline on them and the other days I put scaly leg mite spray on them. What am I doing wrong? And do I have to get that stuff or is it the same as DE?

Back
Top Bottom