HELP!!! Hen just got attacked by a hawk!!!!!! What should I do!??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kfisher123, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    My 3 month old silkie hen just got attacked by a hawk! I ran out and scared off the hawk and was relieved when I didn't see any blood. She is now in a box inside with me, very quiet and laying down. When I put her down to walk, she acts like she is drunk and favoring her right leg. It doesn't "look" broken, but she is definately not putting weight on it.

Do I take her to the vet, or just watch her? I'm so freaked out, these are our first chickens and they are my daughters pets so I want to do the right thing.
    Thank God the other 4 ran to safety, I found them after an hour search!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I would keep her quiet for awhile and let her rest. If she isn't better tomorrow and you can afford the vet bill, then take her.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would check her closely for any puncture wounds, because those talons are soooo sharp, then basically let her rest quietly. She might be a little bit shocky. You could give her a little bit of sugar water, or vitamins and electrolite powder in her water......

For now, I would let her rest though.....

I sure hope she's alright!

Sharon

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:x2 im sure she will be okay just keep her calm..
    sugar and elecros in her water will help with the shock.

5. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hawks and falcons are a serious PITA when it comes to chickens. I have lost 5 just in the last few months. One of the welsummer pullets I had somehow survived the initial attack but died about 10 minutes later in my hands. She didn't show any external wounds at all so at first it was a mystery when she died. After some examination, I found that her spine was broken [​IMG]

I'm glad yours was much more fortunate [​IMG]

6. kfisher123

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    Oh no!! How did you know her spine was broke? I'm still really, really worried because she's just laying down, not doing anything and won't put any weight on her right leg. It "looks" normal however......I'm so sorry you've lost so many. I wish there was an anti-hawk spray.....
    Quote:

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:me too!!!!!!! i have only had one run in with a chicken hawk thank goodness i had a fire cracker and set it off next to it and it flew off and never came back.

8. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Try hanging cd's in the trees around the surrounding areas. They don't like the colors that flash in them! I've heard this several times! I'm so sorry about your girl! I hope she recovers soon!

9. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Quote:The first thing I noticed right before she passed away was that she couldn't hold her head up. I did my own necropsy just to confirm. [​IMG]

Actually there is an anti-hawk spray, it's just not legal....the applicator is a 12 guage shotgun [​IMG] (I am just kidding) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. kfisher123

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    LOVE IT!!!!! [​IMG]
    Quote:The first thing I noticed right before she passed away was that she couldn't hold her head up. I did my own necropsy just to confirm. [​IMG]

Actually there is an anti-hawk spray, it's just not legal....the applicator is a 12 guage shotgun [​IMG] (I am just kidding) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by