Help! Hen "laid" something weird!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TateLewis, Oct 31, 2016.

1. TateLewis

TateLewis Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    My husband went out to our coop last night to feed the girls and found, what he is calling, an egg with a softer shell, almost leathery, incased in a liquid filled sac. I wish he had taken a picture of it so I could show it but has anyone else ever heard of this or come across it? He said all the girls were acting normal and no one seemed out of sorts.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Yeah I've had one of those, sometimes they just lay a wierd egg or maybe they're not getting enough calcium.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Soft shelled egg are occasionally laid. Usually they are from stress, or from the egg laying system starting up or shutting down, it's basically a glitch in the system where the egg is laid before the shell is applied.

4. TateLewis

TateLewis Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    but what about the liquid sac the egg was in? The egg was actually inside of another sac.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds more like one egg bumped up into another egg and the hen was attempting to put another egg around it. Weird stuff happens sometimes, it's a complicated system.

6. TateLewis

TateLewis Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    Ok, I was just worried that something might be wrong with one of the girls. As long as it doesn't sound like one of them is pushing organs out of her body haha.

7. QHnPPcks

QHnPPcks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I had one similar. It was a perfect egg but encased only in the membrane; no shell. I am trying to increase calcium, but they will not eat the oyster shell or dried crushed egg shells.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Calcium has nothing to do with soft shelled eggs so I wouldn't worry about getting them to eat it as they will eat it as they need it. Stress is a big factor in soft shelled eggs, otherwise it's just a glitch, and will straighten out. Try to keep stress down by keeping things quiet and to a routine.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There was a hard shelled egg inside a 'sack' full of liquid?
    How old is this bird?
    Always take several pics of weird eggs in stages as you open them up to investigate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by