Help!!! Hen laying eggs in the run!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RubberChickenLubber, Jan 2, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    The first egg I saw in the run was yesterday. They have been laying in the box, but now I have one laying in the run. I'm not sure if it is one of my usual layers or not. I got 2 sexlink hens last week, one is molting so I know it wouldn't be her, but the other I'm not sure about. What do I do? Plus the one I got today I think may be partially frozen. It will be ok to eat within a few day won't it? I know eggs can be frozen out of the shell, and this shell wasn't even cracked.

2. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    If it was one of the new chickens that laid the egg outside it could be that she just isn't familiar enough with her new home to know where to go. There are a few things you could do to encourage everyone to lay in the nest. You could make the nest as attractive & inviting as possible by arranging hay in the nest box. Placing a fake wooden egg in the nest often works very well. When they look in there and see that someone has laid an egg there they get the idea that "This must be the place!"

There would be no problem with a frozen egg that has not cracked.

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I would just be happy they are laying in the cold
    [​IMG]

As far as the frozen eggs: if my girls lay it I eat it. You might have to scramble those.

[​IMG]

Putting a fake is the right way to do but I did it and they laid their eggs on the totally opposite side of the coop right near the door so that when I open the door they might fall out.

[​IMG]

4. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    If your chickens insist on laying eggs in places you don't want them to then its time to play the "outsmarting the chicken" game. Sometimes its fun to prove that you are smarter than they are.

A good way to start is to place a nest box right where they are insisting on laying their eggs. Once they are using the box you can move it a little every day toward the place where you want them to go. If the nest is a nice cozy one with plenty of hay in it their natural instinct to lay in the same place every day will take over and they won't be bothered with the gradual moves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by