Help! Hen not eating, very lethargic..

s6bee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Western, NY
I have brought in one hen who I found this a.m. with pale comb and waddles. She's very lethargic too. At this point I went out and got her some baby vitamins, (not sure how much to give ), electrolytes in the water, offered her yogurt, layer mash all warm and soft, wet cat food, and she won't take it. She's laid me an egg so she's not egg bound but it was pale by comparison to usual. She's drinking very little and not eating at all. I'm concerned we are going to lose her. How can I make her eat, and how much can she sustain on?
I have not seen any poop so I can't comment on that either.
Breathing is fine too.
Please help!

*How old is she & how long has she been laying?-- How much Is she drinking on her own? I believe the recommended dose for PVS is 3 drops a day for short duration use.

Last edited:
I haven't wormed her but they didn't get outside till Late Sept. they were about 7 wks. old then. I have been randomly putting in Apple cider vinegar to her water throughout the winter (1x /mo.)
I plan on getting some "Rooster Booster" soon for that.
She's now 8 mos. old, laying since the New Year and had no problems till today.
Her drinking is picking up since we brought her in, still pale though. I did add vitamins to the water, 2 droppers for the qt. of water )
I forgot to shut the coop door last night and it got cold. We have a heater in there and I know it didn't get to freezing 'cause the water wasn't frozen, but do you think that could have done it? The others were all fine.
I did go down and she has pooped, it was small but looked normal otherwise.

*Well, it's not much to go on-- but, maybe she did get chilled. Can you fix her a small amount of some hot mash for breakfast as well, put her vitamin drops in that and see if she eats more that way?? She'll get extra fluids that way, too. Do you know her laying schedule?? Mine sometimes eats very little on the mornings she's due to lay. . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom