Help! hen not leaving the nesting box for days in this heat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brooklinechicks, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Brooklinechicks

Brooklinechicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    I have 4 2 1/2 year old hens, brahma, speckled sussex, rhodie and jersey giant. They have all been doing well until the last few days when, in 100 degree heat, the sussex won't leave the nesting box. I have taken her out, and put her in the run twice and she is just eager to get back into the box. When I threw some scratch in with the girls, she showed minimal interest, (the others predictably scarfed it up), her usual loud vocalizing is reduced and when she is disturbed or outside her feathers are uncharacteristically very puffed up. Is this something to worry about? Is there anything I can/should do?

thanks in advance for your help.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Sounds like she's broody .. give her some fertile eggs to sit on and enjoy the chicks!

3. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    She is just broody, that's all. I would see if she'd take some cold water once in a while. They have a mind of their own when they go broody!

4. Brooklinechicks

Brooklinechicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    thanks, I was wondering if that was what was going on....I wish I could give her some fertile eggs, the chicks would be fun, but I'm not allowed to have more than the four hens I do...will this pass after she's unsuccessful for awhile?

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I would put frozen pop bottles under her fanny, or if you are really worried do what we did, bring her inside in a dog crate (I have 12 hens inside right now as we lost 5 two days ago to heat)

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I just had a hen finally get out of the box and go outside, after 3 months! I had been letting her sit on a rock so she wouldn't go sit on the eggs the other hens are leaving. (I didn't want any more chicks.) I finally took out the rock and she stayed a bit longer and then came out with the rest of the gang. Nature will take its course and she'll give up, it just might take months!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

She'll eventyally give up. In the mean time, might set up a fan so she gets an indirect breeze.

8. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    You could also try a cool bath on her underside. Chances are she's taken off a lot of the feathers under there, so it's just bare skin. When they go broody their body temperature rises, so if you cool their temperature the instinct to nest goes away (theoretically speaking). You just pick her up, dip her underside in a bucket of water a few times and continue to do so until she stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by