Help hen peching other hen

hoosiersphynx

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Indiana
Ok what should I do? She is now bleeding and the other hen will not stop plucking at her? I am going to have to take her out? Also she keeps laying down and rolling to one side and then the other? She will keep doing that till the other girl comes over and gets her. Is she ok?
Thanks
Rebecca

P1120981.jpg

Seperate them,treat her wound(it looks like blood from a new feather trying to come back in). The blood will attract the others to peck at her. The rolling around just sounds like she is trying to dust bath. Hens will peck at each other, just another chicken behaviour. Im sure it isnt anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on them.

This just happened to my Buff Orp too... I got freaked out reading a lot of stuff on cannibalism! I quarantined the victim overnight last night and then went and got pine tar, a Flock Block, and some sunflower seeds today. My 4 hens can't free range because we live in the hood, but I think they're bored out of their little skulls in the run. Even though they have a *tree* to run around!

Anyways, I pine-tarred up the BO's behind and stuck her back in with the rest - we'll see how she does. I think it's a Blue Andalusian that's being aggressive, and I've read that Mediterranean breeds can be like that. I'm going to try to give them more "stuff to do" in there. But if it keeps being a problem I'm going to remove the aggressor next time.

I did also check for mites around the vent area, which I'd read was recommended. But my poor baby looked just like yours - it was right by the tail. :-(
Good luck - let me/us know if you find something that works.

I found some pine tar after calling like 4 places. I am going to try that and see if it works. If I use this will I have to remover her still? I only have 2 pullets. I know that they dont like to be alone.
Thanks
Rebecca

If you want the pecking to really stop then take a good helping of vicks vapor rub and apply it to the wound on the chicken. Add some bermuda or alfalfa hay to your coop and put the chicken back in there. The other chickens will only go back for seconds once. It will not hurt the chicken you put it on or the chicken that gets a big ole mouth full either. Pecking solved.
wink.png

That's a Red Star (Red Sex Link) there right? We have picking problems with ours too. Poor Rita's so little and so spunky. Our solution was DUCT TAPE. Her feathers are all grown back now, though they have lacing that wasn't there before.
8324_groominbeauties01.jpg

8324_ritatape.jpg

(We tried vapor rub, blue kote, and everything else but duct tape is what worked! Once they see a bare area they only pick it more. By covering it up this eliminates that desire. The duct tape falls off as the feathers grow back in.)

Back
Top Bottom