HELP hen stopped sitting on eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raiSMASH, Oct 30, 2013.

1. raiSMASH

raiSMASH Out Of The Brooder

Hello! First off I have no idea if this is the right spot to be posting this so sorry if it isn't!
    I have a Swedish Flower hen that has been sitting on six eggs and as of yesterday 3 have hatched. [the eggs are not all from the same day]. She's stopped sitting on the eggs today and we can not get any of the other hens to sit on them. Is it possible to put them under a heat lamp? I keep reading mixed reviews and these three chicks are still alive! We've candled them and used a stethoscope and heard them moving. They should be hatching tonight/tomorrow and I really don't want them to die. Is there anything we can do? Please respond quickly!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you can put them under a heat lamp, but dont shine the lamp directly onto the eggs. there are some people who have made incubators out of cardboard boxes. this is probably your best/least expensive solution.

3. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
  4. raiSMASH

Okay we have them in a rubbermaid on a cookie sheet with some towels around it with the heath lamp above. We're watching the temperature, it's at 82 at the moment. We put a small bowl of water in there too for humidity. We don't have anything to regulate humidity with though... Do we have to turn them and if so how often?

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you shouldnt need to turn them, your humidity should be fine, if the eggs pip through and seem to be drying out to fast, mist them lightly with warm water. your temperature needs to come up some.

you may have to assist the hatch, this thread will help.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

there is also a chance of bad feet or legs, this thread will help: (warning, it didnt end well but shaybaby did everything right in my book)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/830206/the-frankenchicky-diaries-derpy

6. raiSMASH

Alright, thank you so much! The temperature is staying between 97-100 and I think that's where it's supposed to be?

7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    that should be sufficient, 99.5-100 degrees is the prime temperature.

8. raiSMASH

Update: The temperature has stayed perfect and if you chirp to the eggs two of them wobble!!

9. raiSMASH

First egg hatched today! Waiting to see what the other two do now~

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    thats great! are the feet and everything ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by