Help! Hen suddenly down & out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blanche, Dec 3, 2012.

1. blanche

blanche Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    eastern Pennsylvania
    One of our 3-year-old hens, Blanche (my BYC namesake :-( was fine on Saturday, down on Sunday. We found a fairly large egg that we believe was hers, with some clotted blood on it. Had been in the coop long enough to be cool -- first egg in a long time, from any of them. She was acting strangely -- standing in one place, tail down, one leg up, head pulled in, all fluffed up. Had a very messy rear -- sticky, with fully formed poop stuck to it (no diarrhea, no blood). We cleaned her off with warm water -- found no blood, nothing suspicious around the vent. She briefly rallied -- went over to her flock-mates (they were free-ranging), drank a lot of water, but would not eat . . .then spent the day hanging out by herself, not really moving. Last night she went into the coop but stayed on the floor instead of on the roost. Today she is up and out in the run with the other girls, but with the same odd posture. Any ideas? No bloody poop anywhere, no sign anyone has diarrhea, other 4 chickens all acting normal. Any ideas? Considered bringing her into the house in a dog crate, but it's not that cold outside, and thought that might be more traumatic than staying in the coop. . . Any help will be most appreciated!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Check and make sure she isn't egg bound.
    She could also be laying internally.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. teejae

teejae New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    Blanche- Any update about your hen? I'm curious because one of my girls has exactly the same symptoms. She wont go into the coop at night, instead choosing to hang out underneath. Every morning I expect to find her dead, but she manages to hang on. I would love to know how this turned out for your hen, and would love any advice you can give me. Thanks so much.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Do you see any parasites on them??? Have they been wormed???

5. blanche

blanche Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    eastern Pennsylvania
    Thanks, Willowbranch Farm. Sadly, we found Blanche dead a few hours ago. Teejae, hope your story ends more happily. We have not seen any parasites on our chickens, and/but no, they've not been wormed. Will research worming more now . . .

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Check of your state has a necropsy service for back yard flocks. In CA we can send them in for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by