1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Hen takes a few steps then sits. Not eggbound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pthurston, Dec 19, 2013.

1. pthurston

pthurston Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    An Americana, had been laying, then molted. She eats and drinks. Other hens leave her alone. Has organic layer, scratch, and our leftovers. My other hens are normal and laying. They all free range. What should I do?

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Does she have any other symptoms? Droopy tail, wings hanging low, sore or injured feet, etc? How do her steps look when she is walking? When she sits, what does she do? Cover her legs, tuck her head in, etc? Does she appear to be in any pain? It sounds like it could be many things but it's hard to say based on that description alone. Any more info that you have would be helpful.

3. pthurston

Apr 11, 2011
    Thank You
    She did this once before at about 4 months, but only lasted for a few weeks.
    Heres what she does...
    She can jump/fly up to a roost.
    She walks from 3 to 10 feet and plops down, like shes on a roost, like shes giving herself a rest. She sometimes eats like that out of the feeder.
    Ive seen her dust bathe and she kicks her legs and wings etc like normal.
    My chickens free range and she will follow everyone but not actively peck around like the others.
    She has been this way for nearly a month.
    Since she had these symptoms once before and only her, maybe she has a genetic problem?
    She is not laying. She just finished her molt a few weeks ago.
    I really like this chicken. I want to keep her and give her some help. She doesnt act like shes in pain but who knows!
    Is there a really good chicken vitamin? Thanx P

4. pthurston

Apr 11, 2011
    Oh, she sometimes hunkers down but appears normal, sometime standing straight up and flapping her wings and when i throw a treat for she right in there running for it, then sits down. Shes walks like her legs wont hold her up right before she plops down. Thanx P

5. pthurston

Apr 11, 2011
    ANYONE with an idea of whats going on? Ever had a chicken do this?

6. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I'm sorry I have never heard of anything like this. Is she still the same? Maybe bumping this post up will get the right person to look at it.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I know you mentioned she not egg bound, recheck her again. Give her a calcium tablet just incase she may be trying.

The other problem could be Marek's disease. Definitely give her vitamins. Deworm and dust for mites as well.

8. pthurston

Apr 11, 2011
    Hey! 2 days in a row shes laid a big lovely green/blue egg! She is still sitting down alot and it just seems its a problem in her legs. She eats very well. Its just a mystery. Thanks to everyone for the ideas

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Here is another possibility, Rickets. Heres a link and how to treat it.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/124/rickets-hypophosphataemic

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think the recommendation to check her out for rickets or other vitamin deficiency is good. Some feeds, especially if they are organic or more expensive and sit on the shelf a bit longer, can lose some of the vitamins in them over time. I would consider giving Vitamin D3 for 2 weeks, and at the same time start on a multivitamin such as Avian Superpak that many BYCers recommend. Here is a link: http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/p/AB-P1/
    Other reasons for her problem could be viral arthritis, mycoplasma synoviae, or just a sprain that needs resting.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by