HELP!! Hen With Big Gash in Her Side!!!!

BaileyMChicks

Songster
May 8, 2015
Wisconsin
I have a hen that was having neck issues yesterday, so I just sort of let it be because my other hen had the same thing and got better, but today I found her on the coop floor with a big gash in her side and her neck isn't any better. It looks like a rooster mounted her and was really aggressive and tore a gash in her with his spur.....I don't know what to do because it is too cold to wash it out outside, and I don't have a good place inside to do it...I just need help please

We had a hen with a vicious, deep gash in her side before (exposed very deep, but no blood, could see to the muscle). We applied blue kote once but that was the most she let us do. The wound healed within a few weeks. I find with wounds, chickens are extremely hardy. Just watch for any sign of infection. If there's any blood you will want to stop the bleeding so other chickens won't peck at it. I would separate her from a rooster so he can't mate with her again and cause more injuries.

With her neck trouble, I would also separate her so the other hens don't pick on her.

I know some people recommend neosporin with a bandage to cover the injury but depending on the size and location, bandages aren't always going to stay. Chickens are notorious for completely losing it when there's something on them (we used to try and give our hens saddles when we had an aggressive mater, and they absolutely went crazy).

I'm not sure if it was the rooster, but I'm separating some of the roosters. My mom thinks something else might have done it...I think some of her feathers are out in the run. She's so bad off that she can't lift her head and she isn't moving. The only way I can tell she is alive is that she's breathing and shaking. There is dirt and shavings packed into the wound as well as puss and blood. I don't know how long she's been like this, but she was fine last night, save for the neck thing. I have to go to the doctors soon, but I will add a photo later. Her neck looks like it's broken, but it's not. I don't know how to describe her neck problem..

I think her neck had gotten better, because she got out of the nest box and was probably in the run, so I think whatever happened caused her neck to do that again...

Last edited:
The sign of pus means the wound is already infected. I've never had an infected wound in our chickens but I'd probably do what I do to my own wounds. I know you say you don't have a place for her inside, but an infection left untreated is dangerous, and so is being outside in the cold. Do you have a crate (dog cage) or pet carrier you can put her in until she is dried and safe?

You need to cleanse the wound with a peroxide-water solution. I know peroxide can be painful but it's usually what most people have in the house and it's a powerful package. I would take her inside to do this since it's cold and being wet in cold weather would be very dangerous, especially in her condition. Once all the grit is out of the wound and you can see it clearly, make sure all the pus is drained out. It might be gross and nasty and the chicken may or may not put up a fight, so have someone else in the room with you to help hold her or do the cleaning. Once the wound is clean, I would apply some kind of antibiotic cream if you have any. If not, neosporin will probably have to do, and it's the only kind I have at home as well.

Apply that INSIDE the wound to kill the bacteria. Cover the wound - if it goes over her wings, so be it. Getting more dirt inside will be more dangerous than not being able to flap around, and it's probably best for her to remain still as possible to further healing.

Check the wound once a day at the least, more if you're worried, and apply more antibiotic cream as needed if it gets inflamed. You can also apply blue-kote on top of the neosporin because it actually works great at sealing the wound against external elements that may get through the bandage.

Is it possible to get a picture of the injury?

This is not expert advice, I'm just going off what I think would work best.

Is she acting more alert now that her neck is better? Is she still shaking?

Are her eyes clear? Make sure she is eating and drinking, as she needs the sustenance to promote her immune system!

If she goes off drinking, you may need to tube her liquid to keep her hydrated.

It is MORE important that you keep her watered than fed right now!!

We had a chicken in this same situation. Rooster mounted her when we had bad rains, and he slipped... Sliced her right open to the ribs.

I isolated her in a dog crate in the garage with water, food, boiled egg, and meal worms. She got a twice-daily treatment of saline rinse followed by chlorhexidine (Walgreens, by the hydrogren perox) to fight off any bacteria. By the time we found her, her wound was *packed* with mud and poop and all kinds of stuff.

She appreciated the rest and quiet as she healed, I do know that. She was DONE with that rooster by the time we found her. Poor thing.

She healed up nicely and is still one of my best layers!

MrsB

Ok. Her neck is better now. It looks like it went back to normal. She is eating and drinking on her own. I separated her in a little wire cage(like at a fair) in our workshop where I'm keeping my chicks. We put bluekote on it last night, but hopefully tonight I can clean it out better now that her neck is ok.

Great to hear you found a spot for her. The peace and quiet will help her heal.

I would offer high-protein treats like boiled egg or meal worms to give her a little help rebuilding tissue.

Keep an eye on her and let us know! :)

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom