HELP! Hen with Bloody Vent - Pls. look at picture & help diagnose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zephyr66, May 14, 2011.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    I just noticed my hen today with blood running down her backside. I picked her up and her whole vent area is bloody - almost looks prolapsed and swollen. I felt around gently (not inside) to see if it felt like something was stuck such as an egg and nothing. She has had some respiratory issues (wheezing) for the last couple of weeks but was getting better and otherwise has no symptoms and acts normally. It's not a little blood, but the vent looks very enlarged and bloody. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? I tried to post a picture but can't find a way to do that. can anyone tell me how? Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you washed her up so you can see the area better and decide if its a prolaspe or something else going on?

3. mjm073

mjm073 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I just posted something on here about the same issue. I have had one of mine pass away from this 2 days ago, and now 2 of mine are showing same sympotoms. I would also appreciate any answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by