1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Hen with Excessive Honking, and Open Mouth.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vwhite, Feb 28, 2013.

1. vwhite

vwhite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Parker, TX
    One of my hens has frequent honking fits and holds her mouth open a lot. She has been doing this for over a month, maybe longer. At first I thought it was respiratory (she is a young bird) but now I am not so sure. She had a little blood on her beak today and my 9 year old daughter said she saw blood inside her mouth as well. I am wondering if she could possibly have Gapeworm but am not sure how to know for sure or how to treat. Also not sure if I should treat the others, we have 18 total. I wanted to get Flubenvet but it's only sold in the UK. I am so confused as to which wormers work for Gapeworm and which do not, I keep seeing contradictory posts. Also if you worm them are the eggs safe to eat?

Any help on how I can be sure what it is and how I should treat would be great. I have a video, but I don't think videos can be posted on this site.

Thanks in advance!

V

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since your hen has been acting like this for over a month, it's not gapeworm. She would be dead by now if it was. It sounds like she may have Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT,) a respiratory disease. You can google it and read up on it if you wish.

3. vwhite

Mar 27, 2011
    Parker, TX
    Here is a video of her.

I will look ILT up, thank you.

4. vwhite

Mar 27, 2011
    Parker, TX
    I looked it up and I am not sure. I am just so confused! She doesn't have any problems with either of her eyes and I haven't seen any mucus or anything coming out of her nose BUT I did see a little blood on her beak today and as I said my daughter says she saw some blood in her mouth but we haven't seen any since.

I just don't know what to think and now I am extremely worried about my other birdies. [​IMG]

5. I saw the video. That is weird poor girl. I dont know what it could be.

6. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    Mmm.
    I would look down her throat. I wear a headlamp, gently grap her comb with 2 fingers and pull her head back. Her beak will open for viewing.

Maybe something stuck in her throat - but for over a month???? It's still worth a look to see if you notice anything unusal there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by