Help!!! Hen with Scratched Back!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostercluck, Dec 16, 2012.

1. roostercluck

roostercluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Arkansas
    One of my laying silver-laced wyandotte hens has a banged up back. I have a rooster living with them, and I was wondering if it was just from mating. It looks like feathers were pulled off her back near her bottom, but she is also bleeding a little bit. Will she end up getting an infection? Please help me!!! This is the first time to have an injury with them.

2. roostercluck

roostercluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Arkansas
    The hens are about 8 months old, and she has been eating and drinking just fine. I didnt notice the injury until this morning, so maybe something happened last night although I didn't hear anything. The other hens also have not been pecking at her.

3. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    If she is not bleeding much and the others are not pecking at her wound I wouldn't be overly worried.

You could try and clean her wound with diluted antiseptic but otherwise I would just keep an eye on her. Noting that blood has the potential to get the other girls pecking her, and if that happens you may want to seperate her from the others.

4. danib

danib Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My 2 week old BA chick had a dime-sized dry patch that looked like a scab on her back. She had it when I got her, so In asked the girl who sold it to me what to do and she said to put bag balm on it..which I did last night. This morning, the"scab" was gone and it is now a bloody dime sized cut. Not sure what to do now... Wash it out, then dry it and put bag balm on it again? What would I wash it out with? Plain water? Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by