1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP - Hen with snotty stuffy sounding breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by optimistique1, Nov 2, 2016.

1. optimistique1

optimistique1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi All, I have two Serema Bantams (Approx 6 months old) one male and one female and the female seems to have developed what I can only describe as a snotty blocked up nose. There are no other symptoms, no running nose, no issues with the eyes, wattle or any other visible signs.

Both birds are still active and behaving normal, they free range outside during the day and the coop is inside at night time.

They are eating and drinking and playing as normal but I am so worried that it might be bronchitis?

If this is the case what should I do in terms of treatment and care etc?

Many thanks

Garry

2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    What does she do that makes you think she has a blocked up nose? And there are absolutely no other symptoms (wheezing, sneezing, etc)?

3. optimistique1

optimistique1 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    On a few occasions when I have gone to let them out in the morning when she is breathing it sounds like a blocked up or stuffed up nose would sound if that makes sense

4. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    If there's no visible blockage and it sounds like just a nasal (not respiratory) blockage, I'd use VetRx (think Vix for chickens) and put some on their beak near their nostril area for a few days. You can also put some under their wings or the top of their head. It can also be put in their water. You can see if that helps. If you have it, put electrolytes/vitamins in their water as well. I'm a fan of perking up their water if something seems amiss with any of my birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by