Help! Hen with vent issues (Pics)

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
Hello all, I’m having trouble diagnosing my old lady hen Julia, who’s having an issue with her vent. She’s an eight year old Rhode Island Red. She has been on the skinnier side since the beginning of the summer but behaves normally in every sense. She doesn’t lay much anymore and hasn’t laid in a couple months.

I did just treat the flock for mites, alternating Permethrin dust and DE every other night and Julia had them the worst, though I caught it very early. I dusted her w DE last night and didn’t noticed any issues.

I was re-checking her tonight and noticed her vent was scarlet red with some whiteish leision-things around the entrance. I did insert my finger () and didn’t feel anything hard blocking the track. When I withdrew my finger I noticed some clearish fluid and little white strands. I couldn’t tell whether that was feather dander (again she’s starting to molt) or worms.

Any idea what this might be? And do you think this is something that can be treated at home or should I take her to a vet?

Thank you!! I’m very worried about her.

1FD61754-F73B-4E72-BE27-65FB9E76B022.png
8CAAE130-3E0E-4504-AA06-88BD48A6E5B3.png

It looks like a blister inside the vent, but I have never seen anything like that before. Hopefully, others will have an idea.
if you have the means to take her to a vet who treats chickens, I’d make an appointment.
If not, I’d be tempted to treat her as if it’s vent gleet, with Monistat vaginal cream or something similar, and I’d treat her both orally and topically for 5-7 days but discontinue if no improvement is noted. It certainly can’t hurt.
Her age though is a concern that it might be something “worse” like a reproductive cancer.
I’d love to feel that lesion to see if it’s solid or fluid filled.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom