Help! Hens aggressively attacking other Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pescadoman66, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Pescadoman66

Pescadoman66 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Ok so I have 6 hens and recently I noticed that one of my Hens (one of my Blue Cochins) was staying in the nesting box and will not come out. My first thought was that that she just could not lay an egg but after several days I decided to take her out and put her in the run with the rest of the hens. At first looked ok but shortly after they would all attack her and then she would run right back into the Hen house and go back to the nesting box. Can anyone tell me what could be causing this aggressive behavior before I loose her.

Thanks,

Chris

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is she brooding?
    Sometimes, depending on the hen, when mine are broody, the rest of the flock will act that way towards them. Almost like they know she should be on the eggs, and not outside, so they chase her back.

If she isn't broody, you might want to remove her from that nest again and give her a real good once over. Make sure she doesn't have any wounds, weird breathing, anything off. Chickens are very good at sensing something wrong with other chickens, and when they do, their first instinct seems to be to drive them out of the flock (either by running them off or killing them).

I hope things work out and nothing serious is going on. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by