HELP!! hens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skippy867, Sep 8, 2010.

1. skippy867

skippy867 New Egg

May 1, 2010
    weyauwega, wi
    when i go into the coop to collect my eggs i will find at least one egg that the chickens started to eat. i am giving them oyster shells and can only collect the eggs in the early afternoon when i return from work. I have no idea which one is eating the eggs, any suggestions?

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Some folk put a dummy egg in the nest full of mustard and potato! Its not nice and discourages them from eating the eggs again!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You can do a search on "egg eaters". There are a lot of suggestions on how to get them to stop. I have read that it is not easy to get them to stop once they start. There are also roll away nest boxes. You can do a search on that as well. It will keep the eggs safe until you can collect them. Good luck!

4. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    I'm glad I found this post because I am experiencing the same problem and I'm seeking help too.

5. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I recently had this problem!! I got some great answers HERE. I've made some perches in front of the nesting boxes, and added golf balls to the nests, and it's working so far! Do you have a neighbor that would be willing to come pull eggs during the day for a while?

6. skippy867

skippy867 New Egg

May 1, 2010
    weyauwega, wi
    no i dont. we work at the same place

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by