Help hens toe busted off!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calamarie, Mar 16, 2017.

1. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I noticed one of my hens was holding her foot up and walking a little funny and when I caught her I dicovered her toe is actually almost completely broke off, I have no idea how it happened but the one next to it is pink and has heat in it almost like it's injured or wanting to fall off too! She's acting fine, actually just started laying today and it doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it but I have no clue what to do, let it fall off, cut it off its beyond repair I believe....eeek! [​IMG]

2. calamarie

Mar 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is frostbite in her toes. You may want to do some warm Epsom salts soaks everyday, and after drying the feet, apply some plain neosporin ointment. The awollen areas are probaly healthy tissue rhat will recover eventually. The feet are probably painful, so don't massage them, just dab on the ointment. The nails and tips of the toes will most likely fall off in time.

4. calamarie

Mar 15, 2015

Awe sad, weird that it happened now since we are warming up finally but we live in the Pacific Northwest and have had a long cold, snowy winter so it could have happened at any point really, and possibly even recent since I've been letting them out but there's still ice and snow around. Thanks for the info I'll get right on it.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That probably happened weeks ago. You can see in the picture that the one toenail and tip are coming off. It happens a month or so after the initial episode. It shouldn't affect her ability to get around a great deal, but she will be missing some toenails to scratch around. Let us know how she gets along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by