Help!!.... High Humidity (house and bator)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by everythingjane, May 10, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Anyone have ideas for lowering humidity in an incubator? I'm getting 64% humidity in both the room and the bator (running dry). The rest of the house is more humid!
    Just put the eggs in one day ago.. I'm hoping they aren't compromised because of the humidity.
    Any ideas??

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    That is pretty high humidity.

Can you increase air flow?

even though the room has high humidity, the heat of the incubator will help to dry the air. Try to get more air flow in and out of your bator. ... also helps make sure the chicks get enough oxygen.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I do not know what kind of incubator you have..

a dehumidifier in the room would do wonders.. or a window air conditioner..

heat does very little in reducing humidity, if it has no place to go..

4. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It's a Little Giant.. really the temperatures have been pretty stable..

I have both vents open..

I wonder if a humidity absorbing packet might work or would it harm the chicks?

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how often would you have to replace a packet like that in the span of hatching time??

let your LG go completely dry for a day or two so the hum% goes way down.. then add just a tablespoon of water and try to regulate it that way..

our atmosphere is much drier here so we have the problem of getting the hum% up..

edit: I just reread your OP.. so much for letting it go dry..

I just ran a batch of chicken eggs through with some goose and duck eggs at 60% and most of them hatched.. all of the turkey eggs hatched..
    so maybe the hum% won't do yours any harm either..

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  6. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm not sure how often the packets would have to be replaced.. I don't even know if they would work or be safe..

Makes me wonder if anyone would lives in a higher humidity climate can hatch anything with out a dehumidifier.

I hope you're right.. I wish I could lower it at least a little since I don't want to loose these eggs.. Some of them are from a blue marans hen who was with a blue ameraucana when I got her.. I was really hoping for blue/splash olive eggers from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by